Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wonderful Opening

Rocking & Rolling - 12" X 12" - SOLD
We had a wonderful opening for my month long Featured Artist show at Trails End Gallery in Gearhart, Oregon, yesterday - June 2nd.

It was a terrifically nice surprise to walk in at 2pm to set up my demo and find that this piece had already sold. This was probably my favorite piece as well, both at the time I was making it and when I was finished and looking at all the art work hung up.

It has my signature carving, bold coloring in an earth tone palette, some interesting new ideas for expanding the carving and an opportunity for bringing in a realistic shape with primitive motif's which for me enhances the story line of the painting.

I ended up with 19 pieces in the show and a "not for sale" grid of 4 small 8" X 8" (my sketchbook) blocks. We had a real nice turn out and I sold another painting during the show which I'll show next entry.

It was interesting doing the demo too, during the reception. Though I missed talking to all of the people coming in to see the art, I was able to talk more in depth to people who had questions about encaustic itself and how it felt and what tools I used and etc. I brought with me a catalog from my last group show with International Encaustic Artists in Troutdale, Oregon in 2011 called Encaustic Masters, and in that catalog where everyone who juried in had 1 piece included, you were able to see the breadth and depth of what modern encaustic painters are doing these days. This was a wonderful way to show people what can be done with this great medium.

This show will remain up through June 24th I believe and the gallery itself is open Wednesdays thru Sundays 11-5pm and you are all welcome to go and browse. Many of the artists in the Trails End Art Association only show in the summer months so right now there is a ton of great art up on the walls - from beginners to long time favorite artists, in watercolor, pastel, oil, acrylic, printing and more. Artists have tried to keep the prices approachable so you will find some excellent buys of original art. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great show and a fun evening, Whooo Hooo Barb!

    ReplyDelete