Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hot, Hot

Did I say in my last post that we've been getting weather in the low 60's? Yesterday it went from low 60's to 78 and today at 2pm it's 95 degrees. Cripes! For us this is incredibly hard to make that jump of 30 degrees and still remain sane, uncranky and upright. We Pacific Coasters are wimpy when it comes to weather - I admit it - we love our cool marine climate and yes even the overcast and rain in the winter.

And today I'm going to Trails End for the August Show awards reception at 3. One of the great things about this is there are gallery and non-gallery artists showing so it will be very fun to see what's up on the walls. Artists go all out to paint something new and kind of exciting for this show. And of course I can turn the air-conditioner on in the car on my journey there. Here are the 2 pieces I entered - one was brand new just for this show - the 3-D Encaustic Mixed Media Mask and the other was a companion piece wedded by color and theme. And I just realized I don't have a picture of the companion piece - well I'll take care of that come September when I get the piece back.


That raffia is tough stuff to work with in this way. It's wrapped around red twig dogwood cuttings from last fall and this picture doesn't do the detail justice on the encaustic mask. I already have a good idea for another sculptural wax piece so maybe I'll do that in the next little while to put up.

Meantime, there is going to be the Long Beach Peninsula Clay Artists sale on August 8th with many fine local clay artists. There are quite a few master level clay artists at this show and sale so I've got my list and will be heading over there to have a look see and purchase some of my own. Especially interested in the tiles - this year they are having a tile making workshop during the time of the exhibit/sale 8th - 18th, 10-6pm at the Artisan in Ilwaco.

So with the temperature expected to be back in the mid 60's range tomorrow I just have to get through the night and then it's back to perfect weather. It's good to love where you live!


No comments:

Post a Comment