Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Completement!

Just finished resting up from the Encaustic Mixed Media Class I just taught at Trails End Arts Association in Gearhart, Oregon on Friday and Saturday. It was such a great class with 11 people and lots of enthusiasm. We reviewed the elementary basics for the 6 brand newbies and then in the afternoon on the first day and the second day we pure and simple explored everything. Plexiglass, masks, paper and fiber collage, mold-making, waxed linen, beads, fibers and plant material --but mostly lots and lots of colored waxes. We were overwhelmed at least part of the time with all the possibilities for mark-making and transferring and embedding but that was overcome and the results were pretty spectacular. At the end of class, each person chose 2 items they waxed - panels or 3D items and held them up for the pleasure of the rest of the class. It was a fun time for everyone and a terrific creative jump start for those just interested in something new to try and to help with informing their other work.

Now I've got boxes and bins and pots of colors in the right bay of my garage just waiting for me to sort through, organize, clear out and tackle putting away. That's whats up for today. And next up after that is getting back to actual painting in my studio.  I'm actually itchy to get back there. I'll be working on a mix for my portfolio that I'll be shopping around for gallery representation in the cities and keeping my fingers crossed that the economy holds up.

There is a Call for Entries due next week on August 27th for a National Juried Encaustic Exhibit at The Encaustic Art Institute in Cerillos, New Mexico which I'll be submitting to and if you're interested and can't find it, comment to me below and I'll put up a link. Having these exhibits of all encaustic work is always very interesting and informative as you can see the breadth and depth of what artists around the country are doing in the medium.

More pictures up tomorrow I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment